Today OpenConcept joins with the Drupal Association and a worldwide community of developers, businesses, and organizations in celebrating the general availability of Drupal 8, the new version of the world’s most widely adopted, enterprise open-source digital experience platform. Introducing hundreds of new breakthrough capabilities, Drupal 8 makes digital experiences extraordinary across all channels of customer interaction to deliver transformative business results.
In a fast-changing, mobile-first era, organizations need to innovate at the speed of customer demand. New channels and new devices compound the complexity faced by builders of digital experiences. Drupal 8 establishes the new standard for digital experience delivery with an object-oriented, API-based architecture that will enable organizations to deliver content to the right person at the right time on the right device today.
Most importantly, and thanks to countless contributions to Drupal Core, Drupal 8 is the most accessible Content Management system. You can listen to Mike Gifford, Drupal Core Accessibility Maintainer, talking about accessibility improvements to Drupal 8 and why it is great in this #celebr8d8 video, and read his blog posts on accessibility in Drupal 8.
Drupal 8 brings many new capabilities for a new era of personalized, multi-channel digital experiences. Among these are:
- Mobile-first: Allows content authors to publish content on any device. The entire Drupal 8 user interface has been made responsive (front end & back-end).
- Multi-channel, Dynamic Content Delivery: Delivers content “as a service” to any site, device, native application, or emerging channel with RESTful APIs.
- Front-end Flexibility: Embraces client-side frameworks like Ember.js, AngularJS, and Backbone so front-end developers can get creative with experience delivery.
- Enhanced Usability: Offers a re-imagined, easier-to-use authoring experience, with a new editor tool and streamlined in-line, in-context authoring.
- Translation and Globalization: Designed to support global digital strategies, Drupal 8 transforms content management localization.
- Faster Development: Introduces an object-oriented web development framework and includes built-in Symfony components, staged configuration management, and improved unit testing support.
- Faster Dynamic Content: Accelerates content delivery with dynamic caching for personalized, data-driven user experiences.
- Integration into the Digital Experience Stack: Drupal 8’s core architecture plus the Drupal module ecosystem and the ability to integrate with best-of-breed digital marketing tools make it easy to build diverse digital marketing and digital experience solutions.
- Accessibility and Security: Making all websites accessible and secure by default was a goal Drupal 8 achieved by integrating changes in Core, without damaging usability.