OpenConcept is pivoting from being a web development shop that delivers websites to a services based consulting company. We will likely still build websites, but will be orienting ourselves more to service and support of our clients. We will be doing more work with digital accessibility and strategy.
We still believe in using the internet as a force for good, and will work with our clients to best work with these digital tools. We embed collaboration into how we work to allow us to achieve more. Leveraging open communities we can learn from each other and contribute to solving wicked problems. We are a team that is constantly learning and works iteratively to ensure that we are able to meet the needs of our clients.
OpenConcept is a Certified B Corporation (B Corp) as well as a member of Carbon 613. We are working to be a fully carbon neutral business. We are a “not-only-for-profit” company and are committed to improving the lives of people and fostering sustainability.
Current position(s) available
We are seeking an integrator that can support the transition to a service based business. The position will require someone who can work with some uncertainty. We will be offering training courses, doing specific accessibility consulting and also doing some web development.
The candidate will need to be able to be given tasks with some boundaries and figure it out. The individual will need to be highly autonomous.
Some tasks may involve office management or project management, others may be supporting teams or communicating with clients. You will be working directly with the CEO on a day to day basis.
Daily responsibilities will usually include:
- Communicating with the bookkeeper and depositing cheques
- Maintain accounts, bill payments and maintenance
- Sending out invoices to clients
- Preparing contracts to be reviewed by the CEO
- Managing communications with clients
- Updating and maintaining aspects of website
- Reviewing job applicants (and possibility conducting first interviews)
- Provide general administrative support.
Personality type and skill set required:
- Strong organizational, prioritizing, interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Ability and preference to work at a computer for much of the day
- Ability and willingness to take ownership of projects
- Growth/positive mindset
- Ability to work within (and preference for) an ever changing environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced and detail oriented environment
- Self-motivated, proactive thinker with critical attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and prioritize daily workload
- High level verbal and written communications skills
- Capability to work in technology sector
- Having experience working in small organizations would be an asset.
- Post-secondary education required
- 4-5 years experience working in an office environment.
- 1-2 years experience coordinating projects.
All applicants should describe how they see themselves fitting in with the values of OpenConcept. What interests you in applying to work for a purpose driven business? What is your experience leading technical teams? How have you tried to make your community or your world better?
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. OpenConcept is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact us if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application. Candidates with a disability requiring accommodation during the interview process should advise.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada.
If you meet the requirements and are interested in the position, please email your resume and covering letter to OpenConcept2019@gmail.com.
OpenConcept is an innovative web-development consultancy based in Ottawa, Ontario with nearly two decades of experience in the architecture of secure, scalable, inclusive and sustainable solutions for the non-for-profit, public and private sectors. We are a certified B Corporation, with a “not-only-for-profit” mission that strives to change the world by making the internet a more safe and accessible place.
OpenConcept is actively looking for a Web Developer. This individual will be largely responsible for designing and implementing new features and functionalities, managing all technical aspects of the CMS, and insuring an effective, visually appealing, and intuitive implementation of the solution.
- Cooperate with the team to develop, test, deploy and support ongoing projects;
- Make key contributions to project work:
- Setting up new sites in Drupal 8;
- Installing/configuring/developing modules;
- Setting permissions and roles;
- Integrate open source and third party applications into existing systems
- Turn design and user interface mockups into functional, responsive websites
- Troubleshoot live sites and production environments
- Conduct performance testing, including user acceptance and accessibility testing, and develop functional tests and plans as required
- Respond to end-user support needs and perform troubleshooting and issue resolution
- Produce developer-level documentation (technical requirements and solution)
- MySQL database administration, query development and reporting
- Aim for high quality and swift output employing the Agile methodology
- Assist in task generation, estimate creation and project planning
- Provide counsel to other team members as necessary.
- A minimum of 1 years of experience specializing in Drupal CMS Development
- Experience with Drupal including modules such as ctools, Views, and Panels
- Understanding of CSS3 & SASS for consistent styling across platforms and browsers
- Interacting with MySQL databases and Git version control
- Capacity for critical thinking - devising unique ways to meet requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Agile development methodology
- Experience with responsive and accessible development
- Ability to prioritize and manage the responsibilities of several projects/tasks concurrently
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in teams
- Good time management skills
- Ability to communicate directly with non-technical clients about technical issues
- Detail-oriented, diligent about documentation and logging time
- Passion for open source software
- Involvement in the Drupal community
- Experience with EC2 and other Amazon Web Services
- Eager to learn, stay ahead of and influence internet technologies
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Bilingualism (English and French)
Working At OpenConcept
In 2017, OpenConcept received an award from B Lab's as being in the top 10% of B Corps who had a Positive Employee Impact. We were recognized as being one of the Best for the Workers in a list of companies that has spent the last decade striving to meet the triple-bottom-line (people, planet & profit). We strive to build a strong community that allows our team to bring their whole self to the office.
Environmental issues are important to our team and we strive to reduce our ecological footprint in our work. We partner with Bullfrog Power and have recently moved our hosting to a carbon-neutral data centre.
Office Life: Our laid-back office resides in a Chinatown house with easy access to transit and great restaurants within walking distance. A casual environment that supports inclusion and a sense of community, we participate in a daily shared (company-paid) lunch so you can get to know your co-workers better.
Work/Life Balance: Our work schedule is flexible -we have core work hours from 10:00am to 3:30pm. Some come earlier and others stay later.
Open-source progression opportunities: Participate in the Drupal community through Drupal.org and through attendance of Drupal events and submit bugs and patches to open-source projects
How to Apply
We look forward to reading all about your achievements and why you’d be a strong fit for OpenConcept Consulting Inc.
We look forward to reading all about your achievements and why you would make a strong fit for OpenConcept. Please send one PDF file that includes your cover letter (max one page) and resume (max two pages) to OpenConcept2019@gmail.com. We will review applications as they are received.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know how.